Lee Anne Haggard Logo

You weren't put on this earth to simply break-even..
You're here to break rules, to break records, to break through

First Name:  *
Last Name:  *
Email:  *
Phone:  *
 Agree *

If I Start A Home Based Business, Will I Need A License Or Certificate To Do So?

Starting a home based business and being a work from home mum can be an exciting time in your life. You will get to spend more time with your family, set your own work hours, take vacation whenever you want to and be in control over what goes on with your business. It is a wonderful thing to know that your success in your business is all due to the time and effort that you put into it. Many shy away from working for themselves though because there might be too much red tape to go through in order to have their own business. One of the questions that is frequently asked about being a work from home mum is if you start a home based business, will you need a license or certificate to do so?

Whether or not you will need a license or certificate to start your own business depends on the type of business you will be running out of your home and the area which you live in. Each local area has different rules and regulations pertaining to what types of licenses you will need for your home based business, if any at all. You should contact your local government office to see if you need to have a license to run a business out of your home. Even if you do, obtaining such a license does not take much time and the fees are usually relatively inexpensive.

The one thing you do want to take into consideration though prior to starting your home based business is what kind of business you have so that you can register it in the appropriate category. Most work from home mums have a sole trader business as they are only working for themselves and they do not have a business partner. The taxes that you pay will be dependent on what type of home based business you have, so it is important to structure your business properly. For example, you do not want to be paying high corporate taxes if your business is not a corporation. Depending your business, you might also have to obtain a business number for your home based business.

As mentioned, the best place to start is your local government office and work your way up from there. It is also helpful to contact other work from home mums to see what licenses they had to obtain in order to run their home based business.

Bookmark SiteTell A FriendPrintContact UsHomeTwitterLinked InYou TubeFacebook